Monday, December 12, 2011

Introduction

Hi, I'm Maddie, a Senior at Millis High School in Millis, MA.

I decided to start this site as part of a school project. My project idea was to convert my family to localvores this year. This means, that we will try to only eat food manufactured or grown within 100 miles of Millis.

If you live in New England, you know that finding fresh fruits and vegetables in the winter is very difficult because it gets so cold here. Luckily, there are still a few farms that grow vegetables through the winter. So far, it has been difficult for my family to find food though. It seems that a lot of companies that we thought were local, were actually bought by much larger companies, and now the food is distributed from hundreds of miles away. Because of this, my goal was to be about 75% local by the May 1st, but I still plan on continuing being local after the project is done.

I was inspired to do this project mainly because of my job. I work at Tangerini's Farm in Millis, and they grow many types of vegetables. After working there for three years, I have found that I know a lot more about crazy vegetables and fruits (like Kohlrabi), and I can actually make good food with them. My interest in the environment and health has also pushed me towards this project. Hopefully eating locally will reduce my ecological footprint and make my family healthier.

I hope to post every week with a re-cap of what we've eaten, and I will try to find links for recipes that we've used. Please comment or post; I'd love the feedback and any ideas to help me eat locally!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete