Monday, February 6, 2012

Bad Game, Good Food

Last night I was disappointed to see the Patriots lose to the Giants in the Superbowl. I guess the only thing that made up for the loss was the great food I made yesterday! On the menu were: Cheese and Crackers, Nachos, Sweet Potato Fries, and Baked Potato Skins.

We started off at kickoff with Cheese and Crackers. My newest local obsession is cheese spread from Nobscot Artisan Cheese. I get it at the Natick Farmers Market every Saturday. Not only is it delicious with crackers, but today I had it for lunch with my carrot sticks. This gave me an idea for next week's theme: lunches! Everyone eats them, and in high school they are especially important so that you don't get stuck eating that weird stuff in the cafeteria that they call food.

Back on topic, we began the second quarter down 9, but with some delicious sweet potato fries. These I didn't use a recipe for. We basically just cut them up into fry shapes, put a little olive oil, salt and pepper on, and cook until they look done. These are a great, healthy snack any time and are a great substitution for the freezer fries you can buy at the grocery store. Sweet potatoes are abundant in the winter in new england, so if you're looking for a sweeter treat, cover them with a little olive oil, melted butter, and cinnamon, and cook them for around 10 minutes. I have to credit this idea to Mrs. Tangerini at Tangerini's Spring Street Farm in Millis. When the farm stand was still open she let me take home a couple tiny potatoes and now I make them at least once a week.

At half-time we were feeling happy and Madonna almost falling off her humongous heels put us in the mood for an easy, crunchy snack: nachos. I've already talked about these once a couple weeks ago, and they're pretty easy to make so I wont dwell on the ingredients. We used lime and blue corn chips though to mix up the flavors.

Finally, for the grand finale, we had the much anticipated potato skins. I've been talking about making them for a while, and this seemed like the perfect time. They were completely local with potatoes and bacon from the market, chives from my sister's plant, and sour cream and cheese from the local dairy. They were delicious and almost made up for the sad loss. I got my recipe for the potatoes from SimplyRecipes.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment